Crack open those advent calendars; the countdown to Christmas has officially begun. The holiday season can be stressful if you’re not prepared. Check out some of the Langton’s tried and true tips to keep you sane all season long.

 

1. Follow the 70/30 rule when making a plate.

The best part of the holidays is always the food. If you’re trying to maintain your health goals over the holiday season, remember the 70/30 rule. Fill your plate with 70 per cent of the healthier options like veggies, salads or lean protein. The other 30 per cent of your plate can be for those special dishes like butter loaded mashed potatoes,  after all it’s the holidays and you don’t want to feel deprived! Making a plan for your plate can stop you from mindlessly loading up and feeling guilty later.

healthy-holiday-plate-e1385488390722

2.  Shop online.

Packed malls and large crowds can be very stressful. If the thought of navigating a crowd while lugging heavy bags and a giant fluffy parka is already stressing you out, then you might want to think of online shopping. Chill out in your best flannel wear and scour for deals online. With tons of options for free shipping and fast delivery, there is no need to brave the malls.

shop-online

3. Keep a calendar for all your social events.

An organized mind means no more waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat with the sinking realization you forgot to shop for Aunt Jenny. Keep a planner on you to be able to write in social events, jot down notes as they come to mind, and generally keep your chaotic thoughts organized.

planner

 

4. Make time for yourself.

Don’t be afraid to turn down a social invitation. There is only so much you can fit into your schedule and by taking some time to relax, you will feel more like yourself for your next outing.1

5. Budget your spending.

Nothing will dampen your holiday spirit faster than the realization an impending massive credit card bill. Decide ahead of time what you are willing to spend on gifts, food and party planning and stick to your budget.

making-a-sticking-to-a-budget-article

 

6. Get in the spirit! 

Aside from all the gifting and partying, the holidays are really about being thankful and spending time with your loved ones. Embrace the warm, generous spirit of the holidays by giving your time to friends and family and reflecting on the positive aspects of your life. If all else fails; there is always some mulled wine to make you feel bubbly and bright!

office-christmas-party

Maintaining your health and sanity this holiday season doesn’t have to take any extra effort. With some planning and perspective, you can enjoy the best of the season with minimal stress. Share your holiday stress fighting tips with us in the comments!